Heat Pump System Repair Costs
Compare Repair Parts Prices, Service, Maintenance and Installation Costs
In this section of the Heat Pump Price Guides, we’ve compiled a listing of the most common heat pump service, maintenance, and repair costs. The figures are gathered from our own experience in the HVAC service and repair industry, as well as valuable feedback from homeowners like yourself, who have agreed to share the heat pump repair costs they paid for a licensed company to maintain, troubleshoot, or fix their heat pump system. Comparing repair costs to replacement systems, can help you decide whether to repair or replace your heat pump system.
Updated January 2020 – All heat pump repair costs, part prices and supplies tables, as well as visitor submitted repair costs updated for latest pricing.
Jump to These Sections
- Service Call and Maintenance
- Furnace or Air Handlers
- Evaporator Coil (indoor coils)
- Heat Pump Condenser Units (outside unit)
- Related Parts and Services
- Cost Variables
- Visitor Submitted Repair Costs
HVAC Service Call and Maintenance Costs
When your heat pump breaks down, you need to have a local HVAC service technician come out to diagnose the problem and fix it. In most cases, homeowners cannot even buy the repair parts at their local hvac supply house without a licensed account. This first table covers the general cost of hvac service calls, hourly rates commonly charged, as well as maintenance and service contracts for heat pump systems.
|HVAC Service Call Rates – A service repair call generally covers a technician coming to your home and diagnosing the reason for failure. In many instances, this cost is deducted if the repair cost meets a certain price level.||–||Per Call|
|Annual Preventative Maintenance Costs – PM, Service contracts, or PPSA agreements, are for annual maintenance of your complete hvac system. They generally involve 1-2 visits per year to tune-up, or perform manufacturer recommended service on your system.||$25||1-2 Hours|
|Hourly Rate for General Repair Services – The hourly rate a company charges, varies for each hvac service company. Most companies charge a flat rate for specific parts repair or replacement, however, for items that require long diagnostic and troubleshooting, they may charge by the hour.||–||Per hour|
Air Handler or Furnace Repair Costs
The air handler or furnace (gas, oil, or electric) is the fan unit that provides the forced air, and backup heat for your heat pump system. In most cases, they are installed in a basement, utility room, crawl space, attic, or interior closet of the home, and connect to your duct system.
Cost Installed **
|Standard Blower Motor||$60-$120||2-3 hours|
|Variable Speed Blower Motor||$120-$200||2-3 hours|
|ECM Blower Motor||$275-$650||2-3 hours|
|Blower Wheel and Cage||$50-$250||2-3 hours|
|Circuit Board Replacement||$50-$350||1-2 hours|
|Electric Heating Coil||$45-$120||1-2 hours|
|Fan Limit Switch||$25-$75||1-2 hours|
|Fan Coil Circuit Breaker||$15-$85||1-2 hours|
Indoor Coil Repair Costs
The indoor coil, or evaporator coil, can be a V, N, or Slab coil design that is installed to the air handler unit. It’s connected to the outdoor condenser with a copper refrigerant lineset.
Cost Installed **
|Evaporator Coil||$160-$400||2-4 hours|
|Coil Drain Pan||$70-$250||1-3 hours|
|TXV or Metering Device||$25-$75||1-2 hours|
|Pressure Switch||$25-$50||1-2 Hours|
Heat Pump Condenser Repair Costs
A heat pump condenser, or condensing unit, is the large box-like unit that is located outside your home. They have a large fan on the top or side of the side of the condenser, and if you live in an area where you get snow on occasion, the heat pump condenser may be elevated onto small risers, to keep snow from accumulating onto the sides.
|Compressor – Single Stage||$400-$1,500||2-4 hours|
$1,500 and up
|Compressor – Two Stage||$550-$2,000||2-4 hours|
$1,500 and up
|Condenser Coil||$250-$650||2-4 hours|
|Condenser Fan Motor||$40-$250||1-2 hours|
|Defrost Control Board||$25-$250||1-2 hours|
|Condenser Fan Blade||$25-$150||1-2 hours|
|Line Drier||$5-$15||1-2 hours|
|Lineset Replacement||$70-$250||2-8 hours|
$400 and up
|Reversing Valve||$25-$150||1-2 hours|
Related Costs and Expenses
Other costs related to heat pump repair are the general items needed to either make it work, or make it work more efficiently.
|Standard Thermostat||$30-$60||1-2 hours|
|Programmable Thermostat||$60-$300||1-3 hours|
|Thermostat Wiring Repair||$20||2-4 hours|
$150 and up
|Standard Return Filter Replacement||$5-$25||-1 hour|
|High Efficiency Air Cleaner Filter||$60-$150||-1 hour|
|Condensate Pump||$25-$80||1-2 hours|
$150 and up
|Condensate Drain Cleaning||$5-$10||1-2 hours|
$80 and up
|Refrigerant leak Detection||$15-$50||2-4 hours ***|
$150 and up
|R22 Refrigerant (Freon)||$10-$20/lb||1-2 hours|
$120 and up
|R410 Refrigerant (Freon)||$4-$6/lb||1-2 hours|
$120 and up
Variables that Affect Installed Costs
As you can imagine, there are many factors that determine how much heat pump repair costs. Some are within your control, but they are very few.
- Seasonality – If you need repairs in the middle of a heat wave or the coldest day of the year, you’ll pay a premium due to supply and demand.
- Age of System – Older heat pump systems are harder to locate parts for. They also use older refrigerants which are higher priced.
- Size of Unit – Higher capacity, generally means bigger and more expensive parts as well.
- Brand of System – Higher quality brand names spend more money on R&D and parts development, so their parts are likely priced a bit higher.
- Location of Unit – If a technician needs to crawl under your home, versus walking into a utility closet, everything they do is likely to take a bit longer, and thus more hours on the job.
- Maintenance to Date – A poorly maintained unit may take several repairs just to get to the broken part. For instance, if your blower motor fails, but you have never had the unit cleaned or serviced, you may also need to replace the squirrel cage wheel due to it being rusted onto the shaft.
- Extent of Related Damages – Assume the unit was affected by a nearby lightning strike, and the circuit board failed. By the time you replace the circuit board, you may find that the electrical breaker in the disconnect box also took damage, or that the compressor also suffered.
- Discounted Related Repairs – In the previously mentioned “extent” paragraph, it’s also safe to assume that if you have several items replaced at the same time, you won’t pay full cost for each of them. Since much of the work is done at the same time, labor would not double-charge.
- Condition of the Broken Unit – Whether we agree with it or not, there is quite a bit of information on the web that will help a homeowner try to diagnose or complete their own heat pump system repair. Many times, this can result in further damage to your system and turn what would be a simple repair, into a much more lengthy diagnostic process. If your system is broken, don’t try to repair it yourself, request the help of a professional, and make sure it’s done right the first time.
Visitor Submitted Repair Costs or Estimates
We maintain a summary of repair costs submitted by our visitors. We refresh this section often and drop off dated data as it ages. You can submit your own service costs or heat pump repair estimates by using the form located at the bottom of the page.
System & Repair Information
City / State
|Goodman Heat Pump Condenser Fan Motor||Las Vegas, NV||$539.00|
|Lennox Furnace Pressure Switch||Maple Heights, OH||$303.00|
|Capacitor Replacement, Fan Motor Replacement, Condenser Cleaning||Metairie, LA||$687.00|
|Heat Pump Condenser Motor Replacement||Herndon, VA||$690|
|Trane control module on ECM Motor||Tucson, AZ||$458.00|
|Hard Start Kit, Refrigerant Charge||Moore, SC||$220|
|Goodman 2.5 Ton Condenser Fan Motor||Germantown, Md||$385|
|Capacitor Replacement||Cary, NC||$170|
|3-ton Trane Condenser Motor and Capacitor||St Augustine, FL||$650|
|Carrier 2.5 Ton AC Capacitor Replacement||Huntsville, AL||$168|
|2.5 Ton American Standard Compressor||New Orleans, LA||$1,920|
|Carrier defrost control board replacement||Cary, NC||$520|
|3-ton Trane compressor replacement||Charlotte, NC||$1,650|
|Heat pump condensing fan motor||Garden City, SC||$310|
|Recharge 5 ton Carrier heat pump with r22||Tampa, FL||$220|
|30 foot copper lineset replacement||N. Scottsdale, AZ||$610|
|Circuit board, 2.5 ton Goodman heat pump||College Station, TX||$290|
|Capacitor and hard start kit for a 2-ton Tempstar||Huntsville, AL||$189|
|1200 cfm blower motor in air handler||Leesville, LA||$375|
|Compressor replacement, 4 ton Trane||Jacksonville, FL||$795|
Help Us Make this Page Better
Please complete the short form below to share information about your own heat pump repair cost with future website visitors and customers. All submissions will be scrubbed to remove personal information, as well as make corrections for spelling or grammar.